When it comes to weddings, people still push disposable cameras. Etsy shops sell them as essential for your wedding day. Advice blogs tell you they’re the cheapest way to get fun, impromptu wedding pictures.
But they all seem to forget five crucial things:
1. It’s freaking difficult to get film developed these days. Where does it?!
2. If you manage to find somewhere, you have to pay to get the pictures developed as well as for the cameras – and anything that difficult to track down isn’t going to be cheap.
3. You can’t preview a traditional photograph or delete it and re-take it if it’s of a massive, blurry thumb, so most of the roll will be the same pictures again and again, in the hope one of them turned out – which is annoying when you have a hard limit on how many pictures you can take.
4. Disposable cameras – disposable anything, really – are terrible for the environment. They’re made of metal and plastic that could be put to much better use.
5. Every one of your guests has a much better camera already, in their pockets. And they’ll happily take pictures for you. For free!